Monday, May 6, 2019

My farewell remarks

Life is fragile! We never know just how long our time on this earth will extend and this is also true with each assignment but one thing I want you to know before we go is how much we enjoyed our time we spent together. Having the opportunity for my husband to work side by side with you was a tremendous blessing. 

When we first arrived in July of 2015 Dino gave us the book “You are Filipino if…”  As I started reading it, I noticed that my Latin culture is very similar to the Filipino culture.  Here are some examples: 

(You…if) You give your children 4 or 5 names; my full name is: Aminta Veronica Flores Henriquez Rodrigues de Almeida.  

(You …if) You always kiss on the cheek whenever you enter or leave a room and you would never be caught dead leaving a party or event without saying good bye to the hostess. In El Salvador where I come from, we do that too!  

(You …if) You feel compelled to give souvenirs to all your friends and relatives each time you return from a trip so packing means jumping up and down on your suitcase to get it closed. Yes, that is me! 

(You …if) You recycle plastic containers for later use. I do that too! 

(You…if) You love to dance and sing Kareoke. Singing not so much but dancing, yes! And there are video clips to prove it. 

I am grateful for all those wonderful memories and teaching moments. I am grateful for your smiling faces and the happiness you brought into my life I am honored to call each of you my friend. 

I learned so much from you:

I learned to be resilient! Even at times of disaster, you held your chin up and were smiling.

I learned to have patience. It takes a lot of patience to deal with traffic in Manila. 

I learned to be more forgiving. Even when it comes to politics, you don’t seem to hold grudges from candidates’ prior mistakes.

I learned to go the extra mile.  I am grateful for your support and kindness when we needed something, you always went over and beyond what was expected. 

I learned to have more faith and to not fear. I could never deny those tender feelings when I saw the hand of the Lord touch the lives of many faithful Filipino saints and mine. 

I don’t have enough time to name all what I learned from my time in the Philippines but one thing I will always remember is the way you made us feel accepted, cared for, appreciated, understood, but most of all, we felt loved and valued from the minute we came almost four years ago, so much that I pretended at times to be Filipina.

 My husband’s employment which I don’t consider it a job but a blessing has provided us with tender mercies and wonderful experiences. We are forever changed because of you. Thank you!

My testimony is very simple brothers and sisters, I love my Heavenly Father and I know He loves me. I love His son, Jesus Christ and I love the teachings of His gospel with all my heart. I feel so fortunate and blessed to be a member of His Restored Church and I am willing to go where he wants me to go and do what he wants me to do, at all times, and all things, and in all places. 

In the name of Jesus Christ, amen. 

Con amor,
Vero

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love you so much Sister Almeida. We will miss you and your cooking so much!