Thursday, May 16, 2019

One day at a time

Do you ever feel like you are suffocating at the very thought of trying to get everything done that you need to?  Yeah, I have been feeling like that every day for the past two weeks because what I am doing can’t be delegated to anyone. I am the only one who knows what we want to do with all of our stuff! 

I am clearly not even close to finishing sorting everything and to think that today we were supposed to send the shipment just makes me feel so relieved we changed the date to June 3rdbecause Daniel is out of town anyway and that would have been impossible to do without his help. 

At this time, I am trying to cut something out or say no to something I immediately find myself with fifty more things that want my time or attention because we are moving and there is so much to do but in the middle of all of this chaos we are having company to worry about.  

So if I am failing in any area of my life this is it – I have got to figure out how to keep my life from getting so overwhelming with things I have to get done that I end up stressed out way too often and I end up never enjoying the moments I am in because I am always too worried about the other fifty things I still haven’t done yet. This is what happens when you procrastinate! We kind of knew we were moving since February and I should have stared sooner. 

They say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem, so this is me openly admitting I have a problem procrastinating.   And now I have to try and work on it, but the sad part is I think I have recognized my problem for years and I have been trying to get better at it for years, yet I never seem to improve all that much in this area 

Tonight I have started the new mantra “Just take it one day at a time…do the best you can do to finish as much as possible and then be done with the day.”  I literally have to say that to myself over and over again so I don’t lose my mind stressing over what I didn’t get done.  I have to force myself to focus only on the things I have to finish today and not allow myself to think about tomorrow, because if I think about tomorrow that is when I get overwhelmed and I can’t sleep at night so I am so tired during the day.  

Okay, so now you have my confessional for today on where I am not doing so good…to recap:  I need to do better at saying no more often.  I need to do better at not letting my entire day get booked with appointments because doing that leaves no room for the last -minute things that inevitably crop up and have to get done in a day.  I need to do better at not focusing on tomorrow’s tasks and just staying focused on the things I can do today so I don’t get so overwhelmed and stressed out.  I need to do better at figuring out what is the priorities that have to happen and what will just have to wait.   I need to do better at not feeling guilty when I have to tell someone no or that I don’t have time…that is the hardest for me but I absolutely need to get better at that if I am going to fix the problem.  So yeah, those are the things I am going to work on.  I will hurry and add all of those to my to do list!

For all of you who suffer from the same weakness as me I say “YAY! I am not in this alone!”  Maybe we can start our own little O A support group of Overwhelmed Anonymous. 

Con amor,
Vero

No comments: