Monday, April 20, 2020

A blind date to remember

Thoughts on our 32 days on quarantine. 

It was Easter time in April. I was looking forward in getting out of the house to see a cultural show at the Covey Center in Provo, about an hour away from my home. I had two tickets, one for me and one for my daughter Mandy.

The night before the show, Mandy remembered that she had a driving class she couldn't miss and couldn't go with me. I didn't want the ticket to go to waste so I emailed my aunt to ask her if she could contact her friend to see if he would like to use the extra ticket. I didn't even know his name. My aunt had told me about someone she knew but we had not gotten introduced. All I knew was that he came very well recommended by people I trusted.

He responded in the affirmative but he confided with me later that he only did that out of obligation. He didn't want to be rude to my aunt. The next day he came to pick me up. When we got to Provo to eat dinner before the show, Mandy called to tell me that her class got cancelled and that she could come with me after all. We turned around to get her. That impressed me very much because he was so patient. He didn't mind driving all the way back to get my daughter. Mandy was very surprised when she saw Daniel. She had no clue I was on a date.

The three of us enjoyed the show and dinner at a Japanese Restaurant afterwards. I know without a doubt that I was not meeting Daniel for the first time. It was a reunion of sorts. Our kindred spirits knew each other. It felt so familiar that I don't have any other explanation. It didn't feel like we were getting acquainted, It was more like we were being reunited. We knew things about each other without saying a word or explaining. I felt as if i had always known Daniel.

After Daniel dropped us off, Mandy said, "mom, I think he likes you" and that is when my love story gets really exciting! I left something in his car that he needed to return. He came back the next day to return it so we went out again, and again the next day. On the third day is when he proposed. I took it as a joke. I had only known him for three days. We somehow managed to see each other every day until we were married six months later. I am so glad I took the bold initiative to invite him because it proved that it was meant to be. President Monson explained, " There is a guiding hand above all things. Often when things happen, it's not by accident. One day, when we look back at the seeming coincidences of our lives, we will realize that perhaps they weren't so coincidental after all." 

Con amor,
Vero

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your story is as good as ours.....maybe even better! You two are so great together and it seems that all your children love the "step parent". That is so great. We have shared your friendship since the beginning and we too felt as though our friendship with you, Vero, was a reunion, not a beginning. We love you both so much. Take care. Gregg and Ann