Thursday, April 9, 2020

The Last Supper



Thoughts on 21 days on quarantine.

I have read the account many times as Jesus and the Twelve Apostles gathered to eat the Feast of the Passover together. During this meal Jesus told His Apostles that one of them would soon betrayed Him. Before long, Judas Iscariot left the group and went out into the night. 

Jesus also offered the first sacrament at this time. He blessed the bread and gave it to the Apostles telling them to eat it in remembrance of HIs body. Then He passed the cup, telling them to drink and saying that this wine was in remembrance of HIs blood. Jesus spent the rest of the evening teaching His Apostles. He removed His outer robe and placed a towel around His waist. Then He pour water into a basin and one by one, began to wash and dry the Apostles's feet. Jesus explained that He had done this to teach them that they were to serve others. Afterwards they sang a hymn and went to the Mount of Olives. 

That story of the Last Supper took another meaning when visiting Jerusalem that I will never forget as long as I live. According to tradition, the Last Supper took place in what is today called Mount Zion or The Room of the Last Supper, just outside the Old City of Jerusalem, and is traditionally known as The Upper Room. 



As I walked into the room, an overwhelming feeling came over me. I saw those pillars and felt as if Christ was standing there next to those pillars looking right at us saying: " I was here with my disciples" IT IS TRUE!! The thought of feeling His presence penetrated my whole being that I almost felt like crying, but those tears were of happiness to know that each time we take the sacrament, symbolically, we are remembering Him. 

Today is also a special day because my husband and I just had our last Supper too and have started our fast. Dinner tomorrow will be special, it will include homemade bread Italian pasta, salads and pasta frola for dessert. Even though we are quarantine, which is not fun, we are thankful for the opportunity we have to pause and to participate in a global inter-faith fast tomorrow. 


Con amor,
Vero


No comments: