Thursday, June 22, 2017

Teacher Appreciation Day

June 22 is  the day of the teacher in El Salvador.  A day dedicated to thank all the teachers past and present. School in El Salvador goes from February to October so in June the  students are right in the middle of the school year. The "Summer months" or when it does not rain are November, December and January and that is when school is out.

As children and youth we are shaped in many ways by the things our teachers taught us in school and at Church. I remember vividly a teacher who was teaching in Primary when I was attending Primary and teaching young women when I was attending young woman and teaching Seminary at the time I was attending Seminary so she was my teacher for many, many years. She also was a incredible school teacher as well. Today I want to pay tribute to an amazing teacher, who has passed on and left a wonderful legacy. She is an unknown hero.

The Legacy of heroes

 She had lived a beautiful and long life full of children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great-great grandchildren.  She had lost her husband many years ago and since then she had longed for the day that she could be together again with him on the other side.  So as much as it was a sad day to lose a beloved friend it was a happy day knowing that she is reunited with her dear husband and some of her children and grandchildren that had passed away before her.  It is times like this that I find myself especially grateful for my belief in the ability for families to be sealed together through the eternities.  Without that faith I am not sure how I would cope with the loss of the ones I love. 

I loved the quote:  “The legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example.”   -Benjamin Disraeli.   That describes my teacher perfectly.  She left me with a great understanding of those things that truly matter in life which I have, and do, try to honor by living a life of integrity.  She also left me with the inheritance of a great example.  She was a dynamo!  She had all the energy in the world and when she set her mind to something there was no stopping her.  when she retired, she decided to come up to the U.S. at a General Conference. That was her dream so I invited her to stay with me. 

remember taking her to get tickets for all sessions since that was her dream but they offered her tickets for just one session. She took the first one on Saturday morning and somehow managed to get tickets for all sessions. I was so happy for her. During that particular session President Hinckley announced the building of the new Conference Center so desperate needed. She left so happy that her dream had been fulfilled and could soon leave this earth.. Her wish came thru just in time. Three month later I received word that she had passed away from stomach cancer. She found out about her illness right after she went back home. Her faithfulness in those things that matter is what she taught me and is what I want to teach my children. 

I often wonder if we don’t take seriously enough the impact that we can have on our posterity and the people we teach in Church.  I still read the journals of my friends grandparents and great grandparents and so on and I read their stories to my children.  Their stories and examples and testimonies of their faith have inspired me beyond belief.  I have a feeling that at the time they wrote those journals they had no idea of just how impactful they would be to their posterity.  They have inspired me beyond belief.  And I know they have inspired my children.  

 I wonder if we realize how impactful our legacy can be to our posterity still to come…    

I hope that when the day comes that it is my time to pass on from this life that I will have left a legacy for my children and grandchildren and so on that is as amazing as the legacy that my Grandmother Hilda and all my other Grandmothers and Grandfathers before have left for me.  I hope we all leave an amazing legacy for those to come… 

“Carve your name on hearts, not tombstones. A legacy is etched into the minds of others and the stories they share about you.”    – Shannon L. Alder

Today’s blog is written in memory of hermana Granados.  We, your young women class, will love you always and forever, and we are so happy that you and husband are back together again!

Con amor,
Vero


No comments: