Saturday, June 7, 2014

Trying to be positive


Thinking of my Bianca:
I went to the temple next door as I do every week and felt a little jealous when Eve got promised to become the mother of all living. I thought what if Eve was sterile? What would have happened to all human kind. God would not have allowed that,  I am sure, so I was a little upset at the fact that God is allowing my Bianca not to have one solitary child but I quickly asked for forgiveness and thought of a beautiful email I had received from Bianca over seven yeas ago that made me realized that in spite of everything she is so blessed and that we need to keep our heads up and have a positive attitude, even in our darkest times. The email goes like this:
Hello my loves,

I had an idea come to me this past Sunday, and I wanted to share it with all of you because I think it could be a really great thing for us to do.

In church on Sunday, the woman who spoke talked about President Hinckley and some of the recurring themes that he spoke of during his life as the prophet. One of the things she mentioned was President Hinckley's ability to be optimistic even during the worst of times. He said "
I am asking that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we 'accentuate the positive'."

This really struck me, but the portion of the talk given in Sunday that struck me the most was an idea given (I think originally from Pres. Hinckley) that we need to accentuate the positive in ourselves as well as in our lives. The idea was presented that we make a "good list" of ourselves including talents, gifts, and positive characteristics about ourselves. This would be difficult for some to create because we tend to be so good at making the "bad list" of ourselves instead of focusing on the good. So anyway, after making the "good list," the assignment would be to keep a list of those things where we can read it and see it every day.

I would like for us to each start creating those "good lists" of ourselves and to help each other create them by adding to them. I thought we could easily do this through email and then follow up with each other on our experiences with it. I already started my list today. I am still working on it, but I started writing it this morning, and I must say that it really helped my day to start out right. It was really good for me. Here is what I have on my list so far. You can start creating your list and then send it to us (family) so that we can add to it to finalize your "good list". Here is my list so far. If you have anything to add, please send it my way so that I can add that to my list.

Bianca's Good List: (these first few are more spiritual because I drew them partially from my Patriarchal Blessing)

* you have developed a delightful and radiant personality
* you have the gift of the spirit- those you associate with will love to be with you and will feel the spirit you have
* you have the gift to speak clearly when teaching the Gospel
* you are faithful
* you are talented in music
* you are easy to get along with- non confrontational
* you are a compassionate person and a good friend
* you are a hard worker

Feel free to add to this list if you'd like. And start to create your own "good list" and send them to us to add to as well!

I have a really good quick read from President Hinckley that goes along with this as well that I really like. It's from May Ensign, 1995 called The Light within You. He said:


"...When Sister Hinckley and I were much younger and less stiff and brittle, we would go to dances. She would tell you that this stopped right after we were married. I must confess that I enjoyed her company more than I enjoyed the dancing.

Back in those days there was a popular song, the opening lines of which were:

Somebody loves you, I want you to know,
Longs to be near you, wherever you go.
(Charlie Tobias and Peter De Rose, "Somebody Loves You," Edwin H. Morris & Co., Inc., 1932)

I have interpreted those words differently from the meaning given by the author. I wish you—each of you, wherever you are—to know that you are loved. You are loved by your Father in Heaven, of whose divine nature you have partaken. And He desires that His Holy Spirit will be near you wherever you go if you will invite it and cultivate it.

There is something of divinity within each of you. You have such tremendous potential with that quality as a part of your inherited nature. Every one of you was endowed by your Father in Heaven with a tremendous capacity to do good in the world. Train your minds and your hands that you may be equipped to serve well in the society of which you are a part. Cultivate the art of being kind, of being thoughtful, of being helpful. Refine within you the quality of mercy which comes as a part of the divine attributes you have inherited.

Some of you may feel that you are not as attractive and beautiful and glamorous as you would like to be. Rise above any such feelings, cultivate the light you have within you, and it will shine through as a radiant expression that will be seen by others.

You need never feel inferior. You need never feel that you were born without talents or without opportunities to give them expression. Cultivate whatever talents you have, and they will grow and refine and become an expression of your true self appreciated by others.

In summary, try a little harder to measure up to the divine within each of you. As Alma said, "Awake and arouse your faculties" (Alma 32:27)."


Well, I hope that you can all participate in this. Please let me know what you think. I love you! Have a great week and take care.

Bianca


So I emailed Bianca and reminded her of what she wrote back then. I wrote:


Hi Bianquita,

Today as I was at the temple feeling a little down, I remembered something you wrote us for family assignment back in February 2008 and has helped me so much over the years to feel a little better.

I was sad because I couldn't be there in New York with you tomorrow and even felt a little resentful of having to stay here to help Daniel with Elder Holland's visit.

 I had negative thoughts of maybe my life would be less complex if I had stayed single forever!  But at the same time I felt guilty for thinking like that because Daniel is so good to me and there are so many good things that have come from being the wife of a DTA so
I remembered this email you wrote that touched me. 

Thank you, thank you  for being the angel you are. I want to add to your list that ...
You are a true daughter of our Heavenly Father...
You give so much of your time and yourself by serving the Young Women. I know those girls will reflect someday as they think of your advice, testimony and your beautiful spirit as you shared experiences with them...
I do so admire you and your complete commitment to be a good wife to Joseph. You are more organized and a better cook than your own mother so you must have gotten that from Shirley...
Your are so thoughtful in showing your appreciation for the things we have done for you. I love getting your thank you cards each time we have done something big or small. It shows you are a grateful person...
You are an example and true inspiration to people around you. Countless people have told me how your musical talent have a calming influence as they  listen to your beautiful uplifting tunes. ..
You radiate the light of Christ in all you do and say.... and the list goes on!
I want to tell you how much I love you and want to take away any sadness if I could. Please remember "somebody loves you, I want you to know, longs to be near you, wherever you go."
With all my love,
Mom

No comments: