Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Calling people of influence


 You always hear people say, “I’s not what you know but who you know” My mother talked to  everyone she knew about this case and confirmed that indeed the American bondsmen were in serious trouble. Apparently they were charged with not only pretending to be FBI agents but also of kidnapping. I couldn’t believe why they thought they could bring someone back to the US without a passport.

I called my cousin who I went to school with and who happened to be the President of El Salvador at the time. I honestly though he could do something to help these young men but he explained to me that in those cases it’s up to the judge and his lawyer. He said: “I hope he get’s a good lawyer.” I was so naïve thinking that the President of a country could get someone out of jail but that is not the case in most civilized countries of the free world. The power to do so relies strictly on the judicial system and not the executive power.

When I knew this case would be in the hands of a judge and a lawyer I felt compelled to see for myself who was handling this case. I felt as if I had to be present. I needed to talk to those young men detained, to the people at the US Embassy, The newspaper reporters, their lawyer and even the Judge so in the meanwhile I got things arranged for my daughter to be taken care of at home while I booked the next flight to El Salvador.
































No comments: