Friday, April 8, 2016

The refiner's fire

When Elder Holland was having dinner last time he visited the Caribbean Area he spoke to us about the refiner's fire or life trials we are face with and how those trials are what makes us be the best we can be.  When we are face with trials it is akin to a refiner's fire.

To understand what this means, you need to visit an actual Silversmith and actually watch  how they refine the silver. First the Silversmith holds each individual piece of silver over the fire to let it heat up. He needs to hold it over the middle of the flame where the flames are the hottest in order to burn away all the impurities. He also has to be extremely careful not to leave the silver over the heat for longer than needed or it would damage it. So he carefully watches and the second the piece was ready, he took it out. That happens when he can see his reflection in it.

I thought about this image because it reminds us that we are held in God's hand and he will only let us stay over the fire for as long as he knows we are capable of handling it and then He is there to pull us out before we are damaged. It also reminds us that He knows the exact amount of "heat" a.k.a trials that will help us to improve and refine our lives. He also knows exactly when we are to the point when we are refined enough to see our reflection of our best selves and that is when He will quickly pull us out.

I would prefer not to have to go through the trials of life and I imagine you feel the same way. They are not fun, they are often difficult and very painful. But the reality is that when we get to be Elder Holland's age and we look back at our lives we will find that it was those trying moments that helped us become our very best selves. So as much as they absolutely a pain to go through, when they come, hang in there and trust that the Master's hand is there to guide you.

This I know to be true because I lived it. Today my life is peaceful, so different than the tumultuous life I used to have about decade ago. People would say to me. " This will pass" but at the time it was hard to comprehend the meaning of that statement. We think we are going to be at  that state forever but no, it does end. I have been thinking about this because I am writing a story about tree guys who I helped get out of jail in El Salvador at a pivotal time in my life. I was going through the refiner's fire the same way they were. They were trapped in jail and I was trapped in a toxic marriage both wanted to be free.

Con amor,
Vero

No comments: