Monday, January 4, 2016

Growing old

I am a year older. I am going the same route everyone on earth is by getting older. I have come to be of age. I am a mother and a grandmother. I am no longer the child back in the 60's and 70's. I was thinking of what I want to do with the life left in me. Talking to my sister we came to the conclusion that we want to be with our family and be able to take care of our elders. 

We grow up looking at our parents as the most amazing people on earth. They can handle anything, they take care of everything, they can do anything, they are the ultimate super heroes. Then you grow up and as  you grow older naturally so do they. Then one day you wake up and realize that your parents can't take care of everything and they are no longer to do everything. When that day comes it feels unsetting. You start to realize that it is you who will take care of them and not the other way around. In your head, you still think you are the child and they are your parents and deep down you want them to be strong but they can't be strong anymore. They are fragile and now they need the children to be the strong ones. They need you to be the one who protects them and makes them feel safe and secure the way they made you feel when you were a child. 


This last Christmas, my mother, my sister and her son came to spend Christmas in Utah where we were. This was a treat for me since I wanted to see my mom. She had open heart surgery in October and had to move to Orlando. It was for me a very special Christmas to know my mother was feeling well enough to travel. We went North to Idaho and a few day later, South to Saint George to visit an aunt and Las Vegas for some paper work I needed to get done. I have to admit that I envy my little sister who gets to spend all her days with her. I hear someone say: " To care for those who once cared for us is one of the highest honors." I wish I lived in Utah sometimes only so I could take care of my mom. She would live with us and we would travel together to see her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. My family is growing and she would enjoy being around them. This is not possible at this time so I have to depend on my little sister Mari who is doing a good job. 


I hope that now that we have come of age, we continue to be healthy and strong enough to care for our mother who sacrificed so much for us. I think  the best way we could show our mom how much we love and appreciate everything she has done and sacrificed for us over so many years is to give her the comfort of knowing that we will be strong for her and she doesn't need to worry about anything. At least that is what I intend to do and that goes for Daniels mom too. It is our turn to care for them and it is our honor and privilege to do so. 

Vero

No comments: