Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Learning is my pastime

Today I had the privilege of attending a devotional by John Tanner and his wife Susan who are Presiding over BYU Hawaii President Tanner received his doctorate from University of California Berkley. He is very smart, grew up next to a library and has always read multiples books and even writes poetry. He memorized poems too. When I heard him speak today, I found out  how much I enjoy learning! 

I love being in a room of incredible smart people. People who have had fabulous experiences and are willing to share them with others. Sister Tanner said: make your home gospel learning centers. Learn from good books, both ecclesiastical and not. She read the part of the book where President Hinkley talks about being smart. President Tanner says he has a love for music and loves to write poems and read a poem that he wrote. He wants people who attends the University in Hawaii to return to the Philippines to be leader here. They are expanding their capacity at BYU H and would love to have more Filipinos join the alumni. He showed with a circle in Asia and said that there are more people living in there than in any part of the world. 

What I was reminded most today was the fact that I love to Learn. I really do. I absolutely love it when I can learn new things, or explore new topics, or broaden my horizons, or see things in a new light because I have more information about a topic. There is something so energizing about gaining intelligence. I was reminded of that today. He went on to talk about return with honor. As a missionary goes out and returns from his mission and as a student goes to BYU from another country is expected to returned to that country to become the future leaders. H told us that in Mongolia the stake Presidents and Bishops are all graduates from BYU 

Con amor,
Veronica

No comments: