Monday, August 15, 2016

The Audition

The Audition

Last Saturday I was asked to be a judge for some kids who came to audition. They are auditioning to be part of a show next week. They are going to do the warm up for a group from BYU. This group have become a celebrity. They are former missionaries who went on a mission to Cebu, Philippines and have started a fun group they call themselves the Hey Joe Show! They learned the language so well and are so popular here in the Philippines and are coming to do a show!

I had 28 contestants and chose the top 10 with 5 runners up who were good too! We discovered two professional singers who also decided to audition and of course they both made it to the top. Mandy wrote a poem a few years ago that I kept in my files because I though it was so cleverly done. I could never be a contestant myself because I don’t have a voice but I do have good ears.
In honor of those poor souls who came to audition here is a poem for you!

THE AUDITION
by Mandy V. Morrison

Time is ticking
Your turn is up
You're shoved in quickly
The door gets shut
They sit in the back
Their eyes dark and cold
You straighten your back
And try to act bold

You open your mouth
And the terror is heard
You begin to doubt
You can't utter a word
The pianist starts playing
You stand still and frightened
You think who am I kidding?
Why did I think I could have tried it?

You start out weak
So panic takes over
And then you squeak
The room seems to closed
You feel small and exposed
Vulnerable and embarrassed
Like being decomposed
Or going to school undressed

I'm a mouse being cornered
A puppy being punished
A quivering foreigner
Too frail to accomplish
The pressure builds up
I then had enough
My voice sings too soft
Barley, a whisper a cough

It squeaks and it trembles
Proving my fears stumbles
The song ends abruptly
And I hold back my tears
I could have done it better
I could have been great
But I let fear consume me

And it left me to hate
I fear to try, to do that again
I never will try, not till the end
Now I fear to sing
To do what I love
I fear to sing
I fear to love

Why was I asked to be a judge?
You might ask
 I will never know
 But for a brief moment
 I felt like J. Lo.

Con amor,
Vero




No comments: