Sunday, September 11, 2016

Remembering September 11th

Today we got up a little late because we went to bed around 3:00 a.m. but fortunately we didn't have to leave until 10: a.m. to go to a ward three hours away. Daniel likes to check out what the chapels look like each Sunday when they have meetings. There are about 1000 buildings here so it will be a long time till he sees them all. I like going at times but at other times it can be scary. We passed through a bad accident that had a casualty. Daniel said: "Don't look" but what did I do? I looked out the window and for the first time I saw a man dead right on the street. I had never seen anything like that before. It was so sad. I also knew I don't have the stomach to be a nurse or doctor. He was riding his motorcycle and it was destroyed into little pieces. He was lying on the floor motionless with his face down. What a tragic thing that waste watch. 

September 11th is always tragic and such a tough day to write my blog because there is so much emotion when I think back to that day in 2001. It was my 20th year anniversary and all the plans we had for the evening were turn to feeling sad for those people in New York. We just stayed home to watch the news.  I can remember exactly where I was standing in my bedroom when I saw the news as it showed the tower that the first airplane had flown into, and I remember watching as that second airplane came right into the second tower – at first I thought It was just some freak accident but later was confirms it had been a terror attack followed by the horror of wondering how anyone could do something so horrible…it was as if that day time went in slow motion as we all sat frozen with our eyes glued to the news stations.

 I remember every minute of that day, where I was, who I called and who called me. It was one of the days that is seared into all of our memories for the rest of time. Today one thing I am grateful for is the fact that even though this day was a horrific day for so many people around the world a lot of good came from this tragedy. The towers are no longer there but the city is as beautiful as ever. The same thing with my marriage, even though it's no longer, but my life today is as beautiful as ever also. 

This is probably what I take every time I think of this day. Life can be hard at times but  someone people do manage to survive. 

Con amor,
Vero

No comments: