Saturday, May 10, 2014

May 10th

May 10th is mother's day in El Salvador. It can be confusing because in the United States, my home for over 35 years it is celebrated on the second Sunday of every May no matter the date but for me growing up it was always May 10th. To all those Salvadoran women today is mother's day and I haven't been able to get I touch with my mother. I am calling Vanessa's home since that is where she is staying for a while. She had gone to see Mari in Miami but was going to return to Mexico on May 3 and stay with her for about another two months.


 As I think of my mother, I can't help to think of someone who has given up so much in time and money and one who has sacrificed so much for me and my sisters. I will never understand her relationship with my father and why did she put up with so much coldness from my father but she loved him. I love my mom's sense of humor and her ability to lift you up anytime you feel down and today is one of those days.


I feel a little down since Daniel had to go to Haiti on this special weekend but thank goodness he will be back tomorrow and that is a blessing since he was supposed to come Monday and miss out on his kids being here.  Hernan, Rachael, Alejandro and Lexi are in town enjoying the beach while Daniel is away for work. I am in the apartment waiting for him to get home tomorrow to be reunited with them.


It is also one of those award days when they need to think of their own mother and I don't want to be in the way. She is one who I imagine would like to have a better relationship with them. I can't even imagine what my life would be like if my girls had distanced themselves from me. Children are what gives purpose to our lives, we see an extension of ourselves when they have children of their own. On this mother day, my wish as a mother is for my sweet Bianca to be able to hold a baby of hers. It is what we are all rooting for. It is what we all have prayed for and have faith it will happen soon if it is God's will. I also wish that every woman who desires to be a mom, can have that special blessing and I am grateful for the opportunity my Heavenly Father gave me to be called mother!

No comments: