Thursday, May 14, 2020

Isaac is one

Thoughts on 56 days on quarantine.

Bianca and Joseph Merkley adopted a sweet baby boy who was born on May 13th 2019. He just turned one yesterday. How this adoption came about is miraculous. Everyone's story is unique but here is what happened in a nutshell.

My ministering sister in the Philippines last year invited me along with two other friends to cook tamales at her home. While talking, I became aware of a situation from a friend of a friend in Texas who was looking to place her baby for adoption. I told her to send me the text her friend shared with her and I would think of someone who might be interested. 

I tried reaching out to someone I know but to no avail. She never answered me back and as I thought about who to call next, a clear voice spoke to me saying, "what about Bianca?" This was early in the morning but evening for Bianca so I told her about this situation. Contact was made with the birth mom and the rest is history. 

All the paperwork from adoption agency, home studies, lawyers, etc. came into place in a speedy fashion but while the adoption was pending, for six months, Bianca and Joseph could not share photos of the baby's face. Finally, on December 6, 2019 a judged signed the adoption papers and that is when Isaac officially became part of our family. 

There are little things that happened, little miracles that happened throughout the whole process which reminded me, that Heavenly Father is in the details and in charge of it all. Bianca wrote: "It happened fast. It's been a sacred experience. One of which seems almost too sacred to post here. It has reconfirmed to me the truth of God's infinite love for all His children. I just feel so much love and feel so grateful to God, to this birth mom, and to everyone that has shown our family love and support throughout Joseph and my journey of growing a family.

Meet Isaac Woods Merkley

Isaac, because we've loved the name for a long time and it reminds us of the sacrifice Abraham was willing to make to God similar to the sacrifice we feel this birth mom is making. And it means laughter and joy which was Abraham's response when he found out his wife was gong to have a baby (kind of similar to the joy and shock we feel that this is really happening. We are overjoyed! 

Woods is a family name and coincidentally, Audrey, the birth mom, has used nature names for her children's middle names, so that's a fun fact and felt so meant to be. 

Meeting him and the birth mom and her family was like meeting an old friend. It felt oddly familiar. I have no doubt we were meeting again, for the first time." 

Isaac is so sweet. How I wanted to be present for his first birthday. That is another disappointing aspect of the pandemic. 
Can't wait to kiss those chubby cheeks. 

Con amor,
Vero


No comments: