Thursday, May 21, 2020

Thoughts on a gloomy rainy day

Thoughts on 63 days on quarantine.

It it windy and rainy. We are soon entering Winter in Argentina. Daniel has been working non-stop. He starts his day at 7:00 a.m. and his work is never done. Finally, at around midnight he goes to bed. That is how hard he works 24/7 while he is managing so many types crisis: logistics, health, emotional, health, emotional, financial, missionaries, political, you name it. Every kind of situation comes his way. Thank you, thank you, for your prayers. 

Daniel is the “captain” of this area and it does not help that Argentina had fallen into a mega-crisis category even before the pandemic.  I am not wanting the tone of this letter to be pessimistic only realistic. Every country has managed this pandemic differently. We know of some places that are not as rigid but life in Argentina is nowhere near to getting to be normal yet. The highlight or our week is our zoom meetings. It has brought tears to our eyes. 

If life were normal, Daniel and I would have been out roaming this beautiful city, or gone out to the Pampas or Bariloche to breath the best air in the world or at least invited our friends for an asado. 

If life were normal, we would had attended our annual cluster meeting in Rio. I love it when Daniel speaks Portuguese. He is a good translator. I love the language and the people. I always wanted to go to Brazil. That would have been surreal. 

If life were normal, I would be packing to attend my nephew’s wedding this coming Saturday. I would see friends I had not seen in years. I would buy souvenirs from El Salvador, bring Daniel's favorite refried beans and the spices I need to make pan con pavo. 

If life were normal, in two weeks, we would be celebrating abuela Nela’s 90thbirthday. Amazing to think that Daniel’s mom is going to turn 90 on June 4. The irony is that for the first time in years, Daniel does not live far away from his mother and the only time we could have easily gone to Uruguay, we can’t!

The only consolation is that we are not bored. 
The technology has allowed as to keep connected and busy too. 

Con amor,
Vero

No comments: